Plaid Picnic!

The other day I was putting away the winter décor I had out on the front porch. I was changing it to Valentines.   As I gathered up my plaid thermoses a thought crossed my mind.

  “Wouldn’t it be fun to have a plaid picnic?”

This morning I had to create the scene to see if it was as wonderful as I had imagined in my mind.  lol!

DSC00537

Although this is set up in my back yard, I really think this is doable.  With Valentines Day just around the corner, wouldn’t your sweetheart love this?  I know mine would!

A picnic tin and thermoses full of goodies all loaded onto a sleigh for lunch.  Don’t forget a warm plaid blanket and some kindling.

DSC00540

I set it up not even wearing a coat and trodding  through the snow in my hubby’s house slippers.  Didn’t want to get mine wet.  Hee-hee!

DSC00536

Of course, if you were going up into the mountains you would want to bundle up!

Don’t forget to take some water for hydration.  It’s especially nice in a vintage red pitcher from ‘Avon’.

DSC00542

I just picked up the little wooden coasters at World Market yesterday.  You could make your own, but when I spied them I knew they were perfect for this outdoor setting!

DSC00532

Now it wouldn’t be a ‘plaid picnic’ without plaid dishes.  All thrift finds.  I have had the two large red plates for a couple years.  I paid $1 each for them.  The two small green ones I just picked up a couple weeks ago in St. George for 50 cents.  I just love mixing plaids!

DSC00531

I found the plaid sugar bowl this week.  50 cents also, complete with a lid.

DSC00536

Now be sure and fill those cute plaid thermoses with hot tea and cocoa.  I don’t have a lot of jadite, but this mug and teacup were the perfect pop of color!

DSC00535

Loaded up and ready to go!

DSC00533

I tied a boxwood wreath with twine to the back of the chair for a woodsy feel.

DSC00543

DSC00536

There you have it, my ‘plaid picnic’.  Would your sweetheart love going on a winter picnic?

DSC00541

And look what I created out on my deck as I tried to walk in the same footsteps each trip outdoors.

I’m not even kidding folks.  I made this heart without even trying.  I noticed it as I was making a trip back inside for more dishes.  Meant to be!

rose

hugs,

Jann

p.s.  I want to thank Kerryanne for featuring my Oui, Oui, Come to Paris with Me post at her Shabbilicious Friday party!  And also to Jody from Rooted in Thyme for featuring the same post at her Simple and Sweet Fridays!

I will be joining these fun parties:

The Style Sisters for Centerpiece Wednesday

Revisionary Life for Thrifty Life Thursday

Common Ground for Be Inspired

Rooted in Thyme for Simple and Sweet Fridays

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

The Dedicated House for Make it Pretty Monday

The Little Red House for Mosaic Monday

A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday

The Scoop

Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Savvy Southern Style for Wow

52 comments

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

A nice collection of plaid collectibles there Mrs. Olson!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Brrrr!! I love plaid!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Jann, you are so danged clever. Seriously - you have the most vivid imagiation. I love that you take us with you on these fun and a dorable journeys...filling us with parties and eye candy and smiles.

You make my day sometimes.

It's grey and snowing and I am imagining making snow angels with you after our pretty plaid outing.

Have a wonderful weekend, sweet friend. ♥

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

This is so cute Jann...what an original idea! Hugs, Penny

Debra@CommonGround said...

well you know this would thrill me for sure!! just adorable and love the sled for the extra fun!

allisamazing said...

Absolutely stunning!

Revi said...

Every time I see you create cozy vignettes and moments using your collection of plaids, I wish I could find some! Charming to the max, Jann. :) I want a snoooow picnic!
-Revi

Anonymous said...

Oh Jann, it's just wonderful! You have the magic touch! ♥

Kris said...

Everything about this just makes me giddy!!
xo Kris

camp and cottage living said...

Jann
Your Winter picnic is magazine perfect! I love all of the plaid, of course, and all of your special touches.

Anonymous said...

Those are great images, Jann. I love the sled made into a serving table.

YaelL from home garden diggers.

Salmagundi said...

Absolutely perfect!! (Except for the cold and snow.) I can't believe you ventured out to set that all up so we could enjoy it in the warm confines of our homes. Thanks. Sally

Susie said...

WOW...your photo op is wonderful. I love every bit of your plaid things. So pretty. But I don't know if I could even have a tea out side. LOL. Enjoy your weekend. xoxo,Susie

Nell at njschout said...

Wow, what fun, Jann! I think if I tried this my hubby would think I was crazy, ah, never mind, sometimes he already does. : )

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Absolutely Beautiful Jann!!

Old Time Cindy said...

This made me smile! Such fun!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow! A beautiful setting, Jann! Love the use of plaid and the jadeite cups with hot chocolate...mmm! Wonderful use of color, texture and pattern....and of of course, the wintry setting! Well done! I love your creative imagination, Jann! You always have the most original ideas :)Hugs, Poppy

Pamela Gordon said...

That is so pretty and fun, Jann. I don't know if I'd like to dine out in the snow unless I was dressed really warmly for it but your table with all the plaid is really welcoming. You have some sweet vintage things. I had a plaid thermos that was mine when I was a child and gave it away. I could kick myself now. :( Enjoy the weekend.

cynthia lee designs said...

Loving your winter red plaid picnic...so pretty!!
hugs,
Cindy

Bernideen said...

Looks darling! I love what you did here!

Amber Lyon Ferguson said...

Just wonderful!

Micupoftea said...

Creative- love it! Just need another chair for a friend! I adore plaid and the thermoses are perfect for your setting :)

Micupoftea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

So sweet Jann! Too bad is so cold outside.. Hugs, Cristina

Leovi said...

Definitely wonderful winter atmosphere, wonderful and romantic picnic! Nice pictures!

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

I will be right over! Love this idea, a little bonfire & some roasting marshmallows...Nice!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This just might be my favorite 'outdoor' table ever! Love the plaids and lucky you for finding them at the thrifts. Plaid plates are high on my thrifting list!! Love the thermos's and all the cute touches. Just perfect!
hugs,
Linda

One More Time Events said...

This is absolutely adorable….LOVE it! It's funny when we get something in mind…not even the cold will keep us from doing it! You did a beautiful job on this!

Di said...

Jann, this is adorable I love plaids in the fall and winter.Even with the snow it looks cozy and warm Thanks!

aspiritofsimplicity said...

this looks so sweet. It would be perfect after snowshoeing or cross country skiing...or even ice skating on the pond.

priscilla said...

Your plaid picnic is fabulous Jann !
Love it !

Rose L said...

Now I've heard it all--a picnic in the snow!! Love the plaid. Did you all wear plaid to attend? Bet ya ate fast! LOL

farmhouse-story said...

such a cute idea, and everything looks fabulous, jann:) love the sled! happy weekend!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

This is just too much! Too much fun, that is!! How clever and crazy of you to set this all up in the snow! I love it!

sweetbriardreams said...

It seems funny but a plaid picnic in the snow just seems... right! Great idea and I hope it snows here soon rather than rain, then I can surprise the kids!! xx

Winnie said...

Very beautiful Jann
I'm starting to really like plaid :)

Christine at Little Brags said...

omg you set the table on the snow....brrrrr....that is what I call dedicated...on my way for some hot chocolate

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

This is adorable! I might even try to stand the cold for such a pretty picnic!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Absolutely adorable! Love the idea. We have a sled similar to that from when our kids were little. We've stored it in our little barn for the future.
Love the plaids, the old style thermoses, the metal picnic tin and the boxwood wreath!
Makes me think of those pictures from the 60's with the slim legged ski pants, ankle boots, and plaid jackets!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love your plaid and the picnic in the snow is such a fabulous picture. Gorgeous tablescape.

I deleted your second link. If you look you will see a small red x by your link up, so next time if you want you can delete it yourself.

Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Lady of the Manor said...

What a clever idea!!! LOVE the hot chocolate in the Jadeite cup!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

I love this! I have a thing for plaid, especially vintage thermos!

Unknown said...

That is one gorgeous picnic! I am addicted to all the plaid. What great finds!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

OMG, Jann, this is just toooo darn cute and clever!! I'm just nuts about plaids (I hope you'll stop by and see my recent plaid post), but an outdoor picnic is such a cute idea, especially in the snow! I really, really, really enjoyed this post and all your plaid things! :) ~Zuni

My Dream Canvas said...

This is perfect!!! Love it. I am visiting you via Wow Us Wednesdays and look forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

The Charm of Home said...

How cute.
Sherry

Revi said...

I'm featuring your pretty plaid picnic at Revisionary Life Thrifty Life Thursday this week!
-Revi

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Hi from Scotland! You can't beat a bit of tartan!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

There's no question, Jann....you were having too much fun! Thanks for sharing your joyful heart in plaid!!! :)

[hugs]
Diane

p.s. I'd love for you to share this at Project Inspire{d}-AnExtraordinaryDay.net. ;)

The Tablescaper said...

This is absolutely fabulous. I have long wanted to do a tablescape in the snow but have never quite pulled it off. I love how all of the red totally pops in the snow!

- The Tablescaper

Tea in the Library said...

Making this post my Pick of the Week for Be Inspired. You outdid yourself on this one - and that's saying something!

Nancy said...

Martha Stewart move over! This is such a cool post, Jann. You rock!

Instagram