Wheat. . .The Heart of America!

Hi my friends,

For the past few years I have been picking up vintage wheat dishes.  What started out as one wheat pitcher has grown into quite a collection.

The first items I found were these sweet yellow and white series.  After showing them in a post last year, Sweet Wheat. (Click on it to check it out) One of my readers informed me that they use to come in laundry detergent.  The glasses were a thrift find I gave to my youngest daughter.  She gave them back to me when they recently moved to Spain.

IMG_8968

Wheat is such an important grain.  It’s has helped sustain life for centuries.

There’s nothing quite like the sight of a field of wheat.

Last year my sister, Julie found a set of wheat dishes at the D.I. in Price, UT.  Knowing that I had been collecting them she called to see if I wanted them.

Even though they are not the same, for $30 I didn’t think I could go wrong.

I decided to set my Thanksgiving table with them.  My hubby brought me the lace tablecloth from Panama.  He served there for summer camp in the National Guard one year.

IMG_8966

These are a fancier set than the white and yellow ones.  Being the plain Jann  Jane that I am I dressed them down a little with bamboo place mats.

  IMG_8957

I have never been a lover of gold silverware.  This is one time that It would look lovely.

IMG_8958

For the centerpiece I used my cute little strawberry cart.  It holds extra dishes and a white faux pumpkin.  This works great because when the time comes to put all the food on the table it can be lifted off easily.

IMG_8959

And what goes better with wheat dishes than wheat?  This burlap covered pot sits in the cart also.

IMG_8961

IMG_8963

Other dishes that came with the set.  These will hold mashed potatoes and cranberries.

IMG_8964

A couple other wheat dishes that are white and yellow.  I always love mixing things up.

IMG_8969

The glasses are ones that I picked up at the $1 store a few years ago.  It’s the sentiment that sold me on them.  This is what they say:  Family…Memories are made of this…smiles.laughter.hugs

IMG_8965

IMG_8967

And this is the pitcher that started it all.

IMG_8962

I don’t know about my other American friends, but I can hardly wait to. . .bring on the turkey!

And on a more serious note, I thank the Lord for all of my many blessings!

Hugs,

Jann

I will be sharing with:

Timewashed for Blissful Whites Wednesdayl

All Star Block Party

Rose Chintz Cottage for Home

22 comments

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I don't make room for all the pretties you do, but I've always loved the wheat. Would look lovely with the cross stitched piece I hope to finish when I get home to Manila tonight... before Thanksgiving Saturday. :-)

Beautiful table. Thank You, God for everything!

Blessings, friend!
Kelley

Susie said...

Beautiful table and dishes. I love to collect vintage dishes. I have been collecting vintage 1940's Franciscan Ware that I use every Thanksgiving now. You can see it on my blog:
Susie at Puddle Jumper Creations

Susie said...

Jann, That is a wonderful wheat dish collection. I remember seeing them. Your table looks so nice. Hope you enjoy a great thanksgiving. xoxo,Susie

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful table, I love the strawberry cart and the wheat.
My Mom had those same dishes and got them in detergent. I feel bad now because nobody wanted them so she gave them to a salvation army charity. Now I wish I had them...and don't even get me started on the six brass beds...
oh the foolishness of youth!

Maureen Wyatt said...

I'm kind of coveting your dishes. The table is lovely and needs nothing more than a turkey to be perfect! ~ Maureen

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Great collection! Bring on the holidays. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Shirley Hatfield said...

My Grandma had some of the yellow wheat dishes...I didn't know they came in detergent. I wish I had some of the Fiesta that came in oatmeal boxes...lol! Your table setting is lovely...it's the perfect theme for Thanksgiving and Harvest.

Linda W. said...

Cute dishes! You are a great bargain shopper.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love collecting and I love your collected wheat dishes. Really loving the little cart in the center of the table. I thought I caught a red checked parsons chair in one of the photos. I would love that too!

NanaDiana said...

What a fun collection. That first set with the gold rim was like some my Mom had. I am pretty sure they came packed in something like a big box of Duz detergent....or maybe it was oatmeal...but I seem to remember her pulling them out of there. Your table is so sweet and vintage looking- xo Diana

Unknown said...

Your table is gorgeous! I love the wheat theme!!! Have a fabulous Thanksgiving dear!

Hugs,

Shannon Fox said...

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Ky said...

wow the table looks great! I love those dishes julie picked up for you. Seeing the table setting really makes me sad I wont be there. I am going to miss you (and the turkey) so much this thanksgiving

All my love

your daughter, ky

Anonymous said...

Just love this old pattern, you display them beautifully!

Old Time Cindy said...

That is a pretty pattern, perfect for Thanksgiving. Stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Chenille Cottage said...

Hi Jann!
What a pretty table you have set for Thanksgiving Day. Your wheat dishes are perfectly in keeping with the day. I love your pretty lace tablecloth and the touches of Fall sprinkled around.
You have an amazing talent, my sweet friend!
Blessings and thanks for your friendship.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Carolynn xo

The Farmers Daughter said...

What a lovely table! The wheat dishes are perfect--and you carried the theme for your whole table! The centerpiece sure caught my eye, too.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Dru

Old Fashioned Gal said...

How perfectly festive! I love it! Now all you're missing is Autumn Wheat Pyrex!!! That would go great with your collection!
Happy Thanksgiving Jann! :)
-Denise

Snap said...

I remember these wheat plates! Memories! Great collection and perfect for the celebration of Thanksgiving! Well done!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

So beautiful, Jann...and yet after your last line all that I can think of is turkey ( well not really.. I am more after the dressing and gravy :) Well tomorrow is just....alot of hard work / cooking etc but I am up for it !:)

Bohemian said...

Yes, I remember the Laundry Detergent Kitchenware Giveaways... my Parents had a Service that was accumulated over time with their Wash Detergent Purchases! I also remember when Jadeite was given at Gas Stations when you filled up... sure wish my Mom had given me all her Jadeite, I still Love it, but since it was a Giveaway item she considered it quite worthless. *LOL* She also frowned on European Carnival Glass as a Collectible since she remembered it being Carnival Prize ware. Who knew, right? *smiles*

Happy Thanksgiving from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Jann,
Your dishes are very nice for Thanksgiving or anytime. But you know what really caught my eye? Your red and white chair! It would match my dining room perfectly! Thank you for sharing with my HOME and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Blessings,
Sandi

Instagram